Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Volver



"Written and directed by Spanish filmmaker Pedro Almodóvar, this humorous fantasy stars Carmen Maura as Abuela Irene, who revisits her hometown in the La Mancha region -- in spectral form -- to resolve problems she couldn't settle during her life. Abuela's spirit gradually becomes a reassuring presence to her daughters (Penélope Cruz, in an Oscar-nominated performance, and Lola Dueñas) and granddaughter (Yohana Cobo)."

This movie was fantastic! I CAN do subtitles when the film is captivating, and this one really was. I honestly didn't move from the tv for the entire 2 hours. There are so many great little mini stories that are woven together to form the larger story of three generations of women in a Spanish family. I found it unpredictable and refreshing. I didn't even realize that I was reading the subtitles I was that engaged. Seriously recommend this one!

Rating: * * * * *

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I hadn't even heard of Almodovar until I saw "Hable con Ella," which had a female bullfighter as a main character. It was fantastic. I'd be interested in catching this one and another of his that I meant to see, "Women on the verge of a nervous breakdown" (I'm not about to try to remember the spanish title).

THanks for writing about movies. It's interesting reading without spending the 2 hrs each!

kendalljean said...

Yeah I have seen "All About My Mother." It was really good too.

And you are welcome. It is nice to consistently have something to talk about. :)