Saturday, April 14, 2007

To Kill A Mockingbird



"Southern comforts abound in this classic adaptation of Harper Lee's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel. Gregory Peck won an oscar for his role as Atticus Finch, a widowed lawyer who takes on the task of defending an innocent black man against rape charges, only to wind up in a maelstrom of hate and prejudice that threatens to invade the lives of his children Jem and Scout."

I loved this movie. I don't really know what I expected, but it was better than that. Obviously I enjoyed it for all of the important moral and social issues that are prevelent in this Depression era setting. However beyond that I loved how the story was told through the eyes of Atticus's children, untainted by the prejudice of the world around them. It really is a great piece with depth that I am certain that I missed. I loved how his children called his Atticus rather than dad or pa. I am now very interested to read the book to pick up the relevance of all of these nuances that make this such an interesting story and not just a social critique. Needless to say, I highly recommend seeing the film, reading the book, or both!

This movie made me shed a tear, which doesn't happen often, and is a clear mark of a good film.

Rating: * * * * *

5 comments:

kendalljean said...

Ed if you are reading this, this would be a great film for your Ethics class. Lots of great discussion material.

edluv said...

ughhh, i show it in english. works well with a lot of narrative terms.

Lulu said...

I am excited about Chariots of Fire!

Adam said...

Silly runner.

kendalljean said...

Yes, Chariots of Fire and La Dolce Vita are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Then Wednesday I should be getting Volver.