Thursday, April 26, 2007

Manon Lescaut



"In one of Puccini’s first great works that led to La Bohéme and Madama Butterfly, the delectable Manon elopes to Paris with the Chevalier des Grieux, but soon leaves him to become the mistress of the wealthy but lecherous Geronte. Nostalgic for true love, she resolves to return to des Grieux, but not before swiping all the jewelry Geronte had lavished upon her. Caught in the act, she is convicted of theft and banished to the far-off and desolate land of Louisiana where her first love seeks to reclaim her."

So slight deviation from my standard review, but last night instead of watching another movie I took some of my students to the Fresno Grand Opera at William Saroyan Theater. I had never been to the opera and was very unsure of how I would like it. To be honest, I was not loving it throughout the first act. It was a bit hard to follow, and it is hard to buy in when the plot is unclear. However, once it got to the next act it definitely picked up. The story was much clearer, and even humorous at times. The vocal range of the performers was truly amazing even if the sound isn't my favorite. I think I really enjoyed the orchestra the most. The emotion that the music was able to portray and evoke was really beautiful. I would not go so far as to say that the opera is my favorite performance art, but I would definitely like to go back and see another.

The kids had very mixed responses, but they all appreciated it, which was the goal. I was very proud of how they behaved and were mature in their assessment of the production regardless of their personal feelings about it.

Rating: * * * (I think but I have nothing to compare it to)

6 comments:

edluv said...

no rating?

kendalljean said...

I totally forgot! Just added it.

auritus said...

You don't have to compare it to anything, just use your rating system.

kendalljean said...

That is true Eleanore. I think I stand by my 3. WIth the hope that it was the performance of this particular opera that didn't quite capture me as I hope others will.

Adam said...

Sorry, that was Adam posting from Eleanore's computer. I clicked other when I posted but it must have gone back to her default.

kendalljean said...

Ahh, I was all happy that Eleanore had posted on my blog, no offense Adam. :)