Monday, April 16, 2007

Dear America: Letters Home From Vietnam



"The gamut of emotion experienced by Vietnam veterans is strikingly captured in filmmaker Bill Couturie's poignant documentary, which features a host of celebrated actors -- including Robert DeNiro and Sean Penn -- reciting selected correspondence from American participants in the conflict. Set to a 1960s soundtrack and accompanied by news footage, still photos and home movies, these readings create an honest snapshot of a tumultuous time."

This is a great documentary that I have seen a few times before but rented to show to my World History class. It does a great job of showing all aspects of the American experience: good, bad, and ugly. It is organized in a fast paced entertaining way with the reading selections and video clips partnered with the great music. However, what makes it even better is that around the micro-focused letters the bigger story of the war is told through news footage, statistics, and film clips. If you are at all curious as to the American experience in Vietnam but don't feel like picking up a book, this film really does a great job. Possibly even better at depicting the experience because it attacks most of your senses rather than just spouting facts.

Rating: * * * * *

5 comments:

kendalljean said...

Additional note: I showed it to my kids today and they all loved it. Many said that it was the best film I have showed all year, topping even "Swing Kids" in some of their opinions. I was really impressed that they were so engaged with a documentary.

kendalljean said...

By the way, the classes that I showed were my regular World History classes, which makes it all the more impressive. My AP kids are typically engaged, but it takes a lot with the College Prep classes.

Adam said...

When's the next review? Tell me, tell me, tellme tellmetellme.

edluv said...

swing heil peter!

kendalljean said...

Awesome Ed. Love the cheesy ending!