Sunday, April 02, 2006

What Makes a Legend?


I am lying in bed watching "Walk the Line" for the second time, and I got to thinking... What makes a Legend? After having watched this movie for the first time I was hooked. I went immediately to iTunes and began downloading Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash songs. Prior to having watched this movie, I had no idea what made Johnny Cash the icon that he was. Now I adore him and his music. I figured that the movie would stimulate his popularity but I had no idea to what degree. In my AP Econ class a few weeks ago the kids were working and asked if I would play some music. So I jokingly suggested my Johnny Cash playlist, because some friends find this music humorous. Instead of the laughs I expected the kids unanimously supported the choice of the Johnny Cash list. They too love him!

Now to my question. Is Johnny Cash a legend because Joaquin Phoenix portrayed him so well, or is his life and sound so unique that it transcends time and can become popular time and again? Would a movie popularize any artist or does it require a special story and talent?

3 comments:

edluv said...

jcash is a legend for his music, personna, and story. the outlaw character, the rebel, these are things people latched on to. especially, for those devotees of country & western music.

Unknown said...

In one side of my family, Johnny Cash's status as legend is just assumed. Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Hank Jr, and anyone performing after 1980, well, them's fighting words.

Unknown said...

Dang, did I put a 'g' on fightin'? Well, consider this a correction.