Thursday, May 03, 2007

Saint Ralph


"Ralph (Adam Butcher) is a typical teenager with atypical questions, the largest of which concerns his mother. She's fallen into a coma, and the 14-year-old has set his sights on winning the 1954 Boston Marathon in a makeshift barter with God to make his mother well. His teacher, Father Hibbert (Campbell Scott), wants to encourage his dream, but in doing so, he goes up against the reserved, ever-realistic Father Fitzpatrick (Gordon Pinsent)."

This movie is fantastic! Kasey selected this one, but I had to post about it. It truly captures you from the very beginning because of the awkard adolecsent, Ralph. He warms your heart through his honest and apology-free approach to some very difficult situations that he faces. I have not been this inspired to truly root for the main character since Rudy. I was seriously cheering at the tv (as quietly as possible so I didn't wake Kasey) because I was that into it! Now it may be hard to believe that very few movies make me cry, but it really is true. Even drawing a single tear is a huge feat for a film. Yeah, with "Saint Ralph" I was sobbing... I think the most I have ever cried in a movie. SO GOOD!

Rating: * * * * *

4 comments:

Lulu said...

If you like Rudy, you will like this movie. It is very similar in tone, but I think Saint Ralph incorporates more humor than Rudy which I enjoyed. This is one of those great movies that you may not have heard about and I too highly reccomend it.

Adam said...

Don't you trash talk Rudy. You're walkin' a fine line there.

kendalljean said...

I heard no trash talking. That was a comparison to emphasize how great this film is. "If you like Rudy, then you will definitely like this one..."

Adam said...

Aaah, but this line, "but I think Saint Ralph incorporates more humor than Rudy which I enjoyed."

She didn't come out and say it, but she wanted to. =P