Sunday, May 20, 2007

Queen Margot




"To cement a partnership between Protestants and Catholics in France, Margot de Valois (Isabelle Adjani) agrees to an arranged marriage to Henri of Navarre (Daniel Auteuil). Although she's a staunch supporter of Henri, she's not a loyal wife and takes up with a Protestant lover (Vincent Perez). During the St. Bartholomew's Night Massacre, she helps her lover escape, setting off a chain of events that alters their lives and the course of history."

I really liked this movie. It was definitely complex because of the plot and all of the twists and turns, but having some prior knowledge of the subject I was able to figure out what was going on and this further clarified my understanding of St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre. Though this movie is based on Alexander Dumas' novel about the events surrounding this period, and there are creative liberties taken, the general story is based in fact. It was definitely more risque than most movies I am used to, but I felt that it was done in a very artistic rather than distasteful way. It simply depicted the violence and debauchery of the time in a realistic manner. If you are interested in watching the film, I would recommend reviewing the topic a bit to best enjoy the film. (Wikipedia: Catherine de Medici, Henri of Navarre, Margot de Valois, Charles IX, Henri III, House of Guise, St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre)

Rating: * * * * .5

1 comment:

Monticore said...

I loved this movie. I saw it probably 10 years ago when I was going to Europe but I thought it did a good job of making the history of the time come alive.