Saturday, February 25, 2006

A Sexist Childhood Favorite


Ok, I have been a posting fool the last two days, but I am under the weather... so what else is there to do?

Anyway, I am sitting here watching one of my childhood favorites, "The Swiss Family Robinson." I loved the adventure of it. All of the nature and I think I used to like the sons too. Well it just got to the scene where they help Robert, the "boy" with his head wrapped, and they all start to argue. Amidst the argument the head wrap falls off, revealing short red hair... and it suddenly is so apparent that Robert is actually Roberta. Now it's not the cheesiness of the uncovered short hair making it obvious that he was actually a she that bothers me. It is the immediate "chivalry" displayed by Fritz and Ernst. And the immediate teary helplessness demonstrated by Roberta...oh thank goodness I don't have to put on this charade any longer, now I can cry and be weak like a girl! And they treat her as if she is a weak child, despite the fact that she had just been surviving bravely as a boy. Bleh!

I don't really know what my point is... only I never realized the gender stereotyping that was so blatant when I was little, which suprises me because even as a kid I was pretty sensitive to this, or so I thought.

1 comment:

Adam said...

I was recently thinking on this as well. One of my favorite movies is 12 Angry Men. While a wonderfully done film, it reminds of a time when women weren't allowed to serve on juries.

Being one of the 4 people in this country that actually looks forward to serving my civic duty by going to jury selection, I find it terribly sad to think there are injustices like racism, sexism, and the list goes on.