Saturday, July 07, 2007

Finally a Little Time

Sorry for lagging on posting for the last days. I have been traveling non-stop (and have been to some pretty remote places, without internet- or at least not accessible to me).

So far I have seen some amazing places but haven't nearly had the time that I need to really even get a taste of life in these regions. However I am making many mental notes as to places I'd like to return to. (i.e. Salisbury and Pembroke, Wales).

Quick recap so you can get a sense of what the last almost week has held for me.

Wednesday, July 4th- Flew into London. Was exhausted. Caught my bus after waiting for 2 hours. Rode the bus for another 2 hours to Salisbury. Caught a cab. Was taken to the Old Mill Hotel not the Old Mill House. Took another cab to the correct place and then basically slept the rest of the day, with small breaks for a decent English meal. I was actually relieved that my B&B was pretty remote because I didn't feel guilty for sleeping the whole time. Also met some interesting people, but I will tell about them when I get home.

Thursday, July 5th- Bused from Salisbury to Pembroke, Wales. Took nine hours. My cabbie informed me it was a three hour drive. Ahh well, what can you do? Pembroke was beautiful. I was dropped off at a medieval castle (where Henry VIII's dad was born) with my two heavy suitcases, as the wind howled, and I couldn't get ahold of a cab company. Luckily I was able to go into this horse race betting place and get the guy to call me a cab. My B&B this time was fantastic. Short walk to the beach, though the weather wasn't great this night, but I got down there the next morning and it was a beautiful sunny day.

Friday, July 6th- Beach in Pembroke in the morning then caught the ferry to Ireland in the afternoon. As always I managed to get the weird middle-aged man on board to not leave me alone. (This time he was Welsh). He started out nice and just chatty but a few Guinesses into the four hour voyage he became more flirtatious and more obnoxious. More than anything I was embarassed because his flirtations were loud and drawing attention even though I was attempting to give him the cold shoulder. Wasn't much I could do as I was stuck on the boat! Nah, it wasn't that bad, just annoying. However his buddies bought me a little sheep stuffed animal as a trophy for having survived his incesant talking. All in good fun!

I am ready for Katie to be here though. Fine on my own, but it will be nice to have someone to talk to that I know.

Anyway, today I went down to the beach near where I am staying in southern Ireland. I also helped the family I am staying with chase the cow into the field. I made it into town this afternoon and have been walking around shopping. I don't know if I am feeling sensitive, but some of the people here are not as friendly as I had hoped. Maybe it is just Wexford. Nevertheless, I am anxious to meet Katie in Dublin tomorrow. Going to head back soon, and take some cough medicine I picked up from a local pharmacy. Don't feel too bad, just have this annoying cough.

I should be keeping up with the blog a little better from now on because I think the hostels are more inclined to have internet for guests. We'll see. Alright, post again soon.

BTW, I am having a wonderful time, just a little tired now and for some reason have seemed to focus on all the negative. There are lots of wonderful stories that I don't have time to tell right now but I will when I get home.

Love you all!

6 comments:

William McGinnis said...

Kendall,
Don't fell like you only get to meet the crazy people or are the only one with travel issues! Yesterday I was to fly from Pensacola, Fl. to Sacramento. When I arrived at the airport 2 1/2 hours early I was notified that my Continental flight was cancelled and I was rebooked the following day (there were three other flights I could not get on yesterday). Fortunately the agent had sympathy for me and booked me on Delta airlines going a different route. So after my strip search at the TSA point, I actually had a great flight home and arrived an hour before I would have on the original Continental flight. Morale is there may be some sunshine at after all the problems! Remember the Irish have been overrun by Americans for years, so you may need to be a bit more patient with them as we found many who were very delightful. Take care and keep smiling - Bill

Lulu said...

Sounds like you are having some great experiences, definitely different then the recent Europe trip. Keep enjoying your great adventures!

Adam said...

Keep writing when you can.

Anonymous said...

crazies are always the mark of a good place to visit! What else would you watch, normal people? BORING!!!

I'm glad to hear you are having a wonderful time, I'm certainly jealous. Take tons of pictures and I want to hear all about it!

margo said...

Hey Sis-What an adventure. Chasing a cow,wow. I can't wait to here that story. Glad Katie is there now . I have a couple of questions about your condo-nothing urgent-just give me a call when you can. We are thinking of you -love you

m.wise said...

what does it say about me that i can clearly picture the guy on the ferry boat...