Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I Heart Art

Seeing as I said I wouldn't post about my students/school experiences, and also seeing how that has left me postless for quite sometime, I will instead share some things I've learned in my class. We have been comparing/contrasting Classical, Medieval and Renaissance art for the past week, and I really have started to love it!

I really like a lot of it, but I am fascinated with works by Michelangelo. They are amazing!

My favorite of favorites, that I cannot wait to see when we go to Europe, which I anticipate will draw a tear or two.... drumroll please.... Michelangelo's Pieta.



Running a very close and beautiful second... The David. There are no words.


Finally, I debated whether to go with another of his sculptures, but then opted to appreciate the Last Judgment in the Sistine Chapel.


Hopefully this will suffice as a post. I know it's not much but I am pretty narrowly focused these days. I'd love to hear if you have any favorite pieces from this or any other time.

17 comments:

edluv said...

there are a lot of cool doors/gates to churches from that period that are pretty amazing stuff.

Adam said...

I really like Picasso's Guernica.

There is also a sculpture that I found while working in the library one day, while I was to be reshelving books. Whatever the book was, it had lots of pictures of gravestones. One of them was an alcove of stone with a life-sized figure standing in the shadow. It was carved from marble and the figure had a sheet over their head and you could just make their nose and eye sockets. It still haunts me. I'll have to try and find it.

Monticore said...

Did you know that they had to replace Jesus' foot on the first Michangelo because too many people touch it.

Monticore said...

Did you know that they had to replace Jesus' foot on the first Michangelo because too many people touch it.

kendalljean said...

Guernica is cool... Actually way depressing, but I concur. I like that it represents an historical event.

kendalljean said...

No I didn't Heather... that is crazy and interesting information. Wish I'd have known that to share with my kids.

Monticore said...

Yeah I was lucky engough to see it all of those in person. It was really funny when I saw David because there are tons of signs saying NO FLASH and all the italian guards are saying "NO FLASH". However everyone there was Flashing away with their cameras.

Also there was a Southern Belle standing behind me how she loved that "his name is David. Just David." You kinda had to be there but my reinactment of the scene is great

Monticore said...

hey, my blog moved.

craptanisty.blogspot.com

now

edluv said...

oops, that's

craptanistyland.blogspot.com

timidvenus said...

i like madonna of the roses (and dont remember who the artist is). its my next tattoo

Unknown said...

I heart new posts.

edluv said...

damn, i was about to make a joke. but jay already made it.

screw it, i <3 new posts

Adam said...

I verb nouns.

Unknown said...

To quote Hobbes (the tiger, not the philosopher):

verbing weirds words.

Anonymous said...

I <3 Lamp

Adam said...

Helloooooo, you've got two people over there. Maybe you can each write half a blog post?

edluv said...

i struggled today to remember salvador dali's name in a conversation. got to love being an art major who has let it all slip away from memory.

maybe kendall forgot how to blog.