Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Quotable Females?

Today my department chair was telling me of a conversation that he had with his class while they were studying pop culture during the Great Depression. He was explaining some of the movies of the time and shared with them some quotes from movies that they would recognize. All of the quotes that he came up with were from actors, no actresses.

"rosebud."

"Frankly Scarlett, I don't give a damn."

"You dirty rat!"

And then he went on to discuss more recent quotables, and all still seemed to be male.

"Show me the money!"

"I'll be back."

"Life is like a box of chocolates..."

"Say hello to my little friend."

Now I think that he is just more familiar with these because they are "guy" things to say. However, now I am struggling to think of any quotable female characters. Sadly, all I can think of are...

"One time, at band camp..."

and the classic "Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me."

Neither of which reflect favorably on females, not that that is the issue, but I would like to come up with some better quotes. If you can help me to prove that there are plenty of quotable female film stars, I'd love some help!

11 comments:

Adam said...

It's gonna be difficult because, until recent years, females weren't in movies to be the quotable leads.

GI Jane, Demi Moore said, "Suck my dick."

Cold Mountain, Renee Zellweger said, "They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say 'Shit, it's raining!'"

Pulp Fiction, Honey Bunny said, "Any of you fucking pricks move, and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!"

I believe that one got sampled in a Sublime song, maybe?

Of course, all my examples are full of foul language, but whaddya gonna do? I'll try to think of some more when I get home.

Adam said...

Ok, I thought of a couple more.

Fight Club, Marla Singer, "My God. I haven't been fucked like that since grade school."

There's a line from Annie Hall by a supporting actress that goes something like, "Sex with you is a Kafka-esque experience."

kendalljean said...

He was referring more to quotes that if said, everyone would recognize and know the movie immediately. All good quotes, but not the type that most would automatically make the connection to the movie or actress.

Adam said...

Oh, well, they're all recognizable to me. I mean, if someone said the quote, I'd at least get the movie, and hopefully the character.

kendalljean said...

Yeah, I didn't mean to poo poo them. But they just are not the same. Which makes me wonder if he is right. Why aren't there catchy phrases from female actresses that are commonly known by at least most.


I did just think of one.

"I'll never let go Jack! I'll never let go!"

Monticore said...

Okay Kendall since adam and kasey weren't much help here are a few.

"It's not me that got small just the pictures" Sunset Bull.

"You had me at Hello."

"It's my BIRTHDAY!!" Oprah

"My whole entire life whether it be long or short will be uterly devoted to your service." Queen Elizabeth

"I'll never go hungry again" Scarelette O Hara

"where's the beef" Old Lady in Wendy's commerical

"I'll have what she's having." Old Lady in When Harry meet Sally


I think of some more.

Monticore said...

Okay here is more that I got from AFI’s list

All Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore. –Wizard of OZ

Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up.-Sunset BLVD

Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night.- All About Eve

There's no place like home.

I am big! It's the pictures that got small.

I want to be alone.

Why don't you come up sometime and see me?- SHE DONE HIM WRONG

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow.- TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT

They're here!- POLTERGEIST

No wire hangers, ever!-Mommy Dearest

Hello, gorgeous.-Funny Girl

Listen to me, mister. You're my knight in shining armor. Don't you forget it. You're going to get back on that horse, and I'm going to be right behind you, holding on tight, and away we're gonna go, go, go!- ON GOLDEN POND

I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!

Adam said...

Meh, those are memorable, but they're old. I was trying to cull from more modern flicks.

Monticore said...

Adam- I think the Honey Bunny line is the only memorable one. I'm surprised there were no Monty Python lines. Like "King, I don't remember voting for you."

Adam said...

People like different films.

m.wise said...

help me obi wan kanobi, you're my only hope (me/us, my/our...one of those 2)